PD&SWJR Devonport to Lydford

 

 

Station details 

                                                                        Opened                       Closed

Devonport                                                      18th May 1876            7th September 1967

            renamed Devonport Kings Rd           26th September 1949

Albert Road Halt                                           1st October 1906         13 January 1947

Ford                                                                2nd June 1890              7th September 1964

Camels Head Halt                                         1st November 1906     4th May 1942

Weston Mill Halt                                           1st November 1906     September 1921

St Budeaux (called St. Budeaux for Saltash in timetable)  2nd June 1890

            renamed St. Budeaux Victoria Rd     26th September 1962

TamertonFoliot                                              1st January 1898          10th September 1962

Beer Ferris                                                     2nd June 1890

            renamed Bere Ferrers -                      November 1897

Beer Alston                                                    2nd June 1890

            renamed Bere Alston -                       November 1897

Tavistock North                                             2nd June 1890              6th May 1968

Brentor                                                           2nd June 1890              6th May 1968

Lidford                                                            12th October 1874       6th May 1968

            renamed Lydford                                 July 1897

 

Devonport Kings Road Station data

 

Terminus and signal box opened 18 May 1876

Stonehouse Pool branch opened to goods traffic 1 March 1886

Double track PDSWJR line from Lidford opened to goods traffic and Devonport station converted from a terminus to a through station 12 May 1890

Lidford line opened to public passenger traffic 2 June 1890

Stonehouse Pool line opened to passengers 9 April 1914

Stonehouse Pool line closed to passengers 28 May 1910

Station renamed Devonport Rings Road 26 September 1949

Line to St. Budeaux and passenger station closed 7 September 1964    

Signal box closed 14 March 1965

Line to Devonport Junction singled 26 February 1967

Goods station, Storehouse Pool branch and line to Devonport Junction closed 7 March 1971

 

Station transactions

 

BERE FERRERS                                                         1928                1936

 

Number of passenger tickets issues                               16259              15812

Number of season tickets issued                                   100                  162

Number of passenger tickets collected                          36130              34394

Number of telegrams                                                    285                  66

Number of parcels forwarded                                       1201                1782

Number of parcels received                                          402                  567

Milk forwarded (cans 1928/gallons 1936)                     2963                15552

Milk received (cans 1928/gallons 1936)                        2                      ---

General goods forwarded (tons)                                    140                  44

General goods received (tons)                                       181                  92

Coal, coke etc. received (tons)                                      89                    80

Other minerals forwarded (tons)                                    65                    ---

Other minerals received (tons)                                       113                  ---

Trucks of livestock forwarded                                       49                    11

Trucks of livestock received                                          3                      ---

Lavatory pennies                                                          300                  167

 

 

LYDFORD (originally Spelt LIDFORD)

 

Tavistock - Launceston broad gauge opened 1 July 1865

LSWR Oakhampton - Lidford and first LSWR signal box opened 12 October 1874

LSWR Lidford - Devonport via GWR opened 17 May 1879

PD&SWJR Lidford - Devonport opened 2 June 1890

GWR Broad gauge abolished May 1892

Renamed Lydford July 1897

LSWR/GWR connection removed 19 Dec 1915

LSWR and GWR signal boxes closed, joint signal box opened 8 Jan 1917

New SR/GWR connection and new sidings opened 30 May 1943

Ex-GWR services withdrawn 31 Dec 1962

Ex-GWR Tavistock line closed 25 Sep 1964

Ex-GWR Launceston line closed 28 Feb 1966

Line completely closed 6 May 1968

 

                                  

 

PD&SWJR Bere Alston to Callington

 Station details

                                                                        Opened                       Closed

Bere Alston                                                    2nd June 1890

Calstock                                                         2nd March 1908

Gunnislake (new station)                                 May 1994

Gunnislake (old station)                                  2nd March 1908          30th January 1994

Chilsworthy Halt                                            1st June 1909               7th November 1966

Latchley Halt                                                 2nd March 1908          7th November 1966

Seven Stones Halt                                         June 1910                    September 1917

Stoke Climsland                                             2nd March 1908          7th November 1966

            renamed Luckett                                1st November 1909                

Callington Road                                             2nd March 1908          7th November 1966

            renamed Callington for Stoke Climsland - 1st November 1909

            renamed Callington - 1949

 

A number of PD&SWJR stations were on the site of former ECMR (East Cornwall Mineral Railway) goods depots

                       

                        Gunnislake                 was formerly     Drakewalls

                        Latchley                      was formerly     Cox's Park

                        Luckett                       was formerly     Monks Corner

                        Callington Road         was formerly     Kelly Bray

 

Phone codes

 

Each station had its own internal phone code, these were

 

                        Bere Alston booking office                    2 - 3

                        Bere Alston signal box                           3

                        Calstock                                               2

                        Gunnislake                                            4

                        Luckett                                                 2 - 1

                        Callington                                             1 - 3

 

Bere Alston to Callington Loads of trains 1960

 

LOADS OF TRAINS ETC The maximum loads of passenger trains over this branch are as under:-

                                                                                                         Class of engine

                 Section of line                                                             0.2.             2.M.T.T.

Bere Alston to Calstock                                                260 tons           260 tons

Calstock to Callington                                                   100 tons           120 tons

Callington to Calstock                                                   260 tons           260 tons

Calstock to Bere Alston                                                100 tons           120 tons

 

 

Shunting Kit Hill

 

Kit Hill (Wm. Griffiths & Co.) siding. The shunting operations are performed by the Guards of the trains concerned.

 

Wagons for the siding are conveyed from Callington and must be attached next the engine of up goods trains.  On arrival of the train at the siding, the van brake must be fully applied and a sufficient number of wagon brakes securely applied, after which the wagons to be placed in the siding must be uncoupled and the hand brakes applied.  The engine must then be detached and run forward beyond the points leading to the siding, the points set for the siding, and the wagons allowed to gravitate into the siding clear of the catch points.  The points must then be set for the running line, and the engine re-coupled to the train.

 

Traffic from the siding will be taken on by down goods trains and conveyed to Callington en route to destination, the van brakes to be applied and a sufficient number of wagon brakes securely applied before the engine is detached from the train and allowed to proceed into the siding for the wagons.

 

 

 

 

 

www.Brucehunt.co.uk  Email  Bruceehunt@Yahoo.com

Return to front page
Return to PD&SWJR
Devonport Kings Rd
St. Budeaux Victoria Rd
Tamerton Foliot
Bere Ferrers
Bere Alston
Tavistock North
Brentor
Lydford
Bere Alston - branch train
Calstock
Gunnislake
Chilsworthy Halt
Latchley
Luckett
Callington
Open &Closure notice